One of the four Universal Studios Theme Parks, owned and operated by USJ Co. Ltd., Universal Studios Japan is located in Osaka, a city in the Kansai region of Japan’s main island of Honshu. The studios attract many South Koreans and Chinese visitors. Universal Studios in Japan were the first to attract ten million visitors, faster than any other theme park in the world.
What Lures the Tourists..
The major attractions of the park are arranged in ten different areas of the park. These areas are named after cities and offer attractions based on various popular Hollywood movies, such as-
- The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter– based on the famous Harry Potter film and book series. The flagship attraction of this area is ‘Harry Potter And The Forbidden Journey’, which is the signature amusement ride, that takes the visitors through scenes and environments in and around the Hogwarts school from the film series. It is a state of the art ride, utilising technology which has never been seen before.
- New York- consists of two major attractions-
- The Amazing Adventures Of Spider Man- is a motion based 3D dark ride, that combines special meandering vehicles with 3D projection, elaborate physical sets and both practical and tactile effects. The ride takes the visitors into the world of Spider Man, in a vehicle called ‘Scoop’. Where the visitors learn that the evil sinister syndicate has captured the Statue Of Liberty. This evil group is made up of many famous Spider man villains, including Doctor Octopus, Scream, Electro, Hydro-man and Hobgoblin.
- Terminator 2:3D- The attraction is a mini sequel to Terminator 2: Judgement Day. It re-unites Director James Cameron and the main cast of the movie including, Arnold Schwarzenegger as the terminator, Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor and the others. The show is presented in two parts, a pre show where a cyber dyne company (a fictional artificial intelligence co., featured in the Terminator franchise), company hostess shows the visitors a brief video presentation about the company’s innovations, followed by the main show where live performers interact with a 3D film.
- Hollywood Dream Ride- is a steel roller coaster located at the section of attraction called Hollywood. The ride features inbuilt sound systems allowing the riders to choose their own incidental music. The net income of the theme park was considered increased because of the Hollywood Dream ride.
- Sesame Street 4D Movie Magic- is a 4D film theme park attraction, which was later acquired by Seaworld Parks Entertainment to run at their Burch Gardens and Sea World Theme Park.
- Universal Monsters Live Rock and Roll Show- is also known as Beetlejuice’s Rockin’ Graveyard Revue, is a live stage show based on the film with the same name and Universal’s Classic Monsters.
- Space Fantasy – The Ride- is a spinning roller coaster ride. This ride opened as a replacement for the former E.T. Adventure Dark Ride. The ride is themed to a journey through space and features an array of special effects, interactive Projection screens, on-board audio , laser and fibre optics.
- Shrek’s 4D Adventure- also called the ‘Ghost of Lord Farquaad’, is a 4D film at various theme parks around the world. Universal Parks and Resorts, is the main licensee of the film which is currently shown at their parks in Hollywood, Florida, Japan & Singapore.
- San Francisco-
- Back To The Future- The Ride- is a stimulator ride which is based on and inspired by the popular ‘Back To The future’ film series and also , is a mini-sequel to the 1990′s famous Hollywood venture ‘ Back To The Future Part 3′. The story of the ride centres on a first-person adventure through time, in pursuit of Biff Tannen, the trilogy’s villain. Steven Spielberg, who happens to be the Executive Producer of the film series played a vital role as a creative consultant for the ride.
- Backdraft- is a show that employs fire as a special effect. It is based on the film by the same name. If they please, visitors can learn how the Pyrotechnic ( is related to fireworks) effects were created and experience some of them first hand. This Hollywood attraction finally closed down in 2010, but remains a part of the Osaka theme park.
- Jurassic Park-
- Jurassic Park- The Ride- is a water based amusement ride, based on the famous Jurassic Park series. The ride is located within the entire Jurassic Park themed section of the park. Themed food, vehicles, venues and buildings make up the interiors of the section. The riders encounter numerous dinosaurs along the ride. Its quite a joy ride for the visitors, as they find themselves in a constant grasp of adventure. Jurassic Park admirers have the time of their lives during the spine chilling ride.
Apart from these major rides, there are various other attractions mainly for children, such as-
- Hello Kitty Fashion Avenue which consists of, Hello Kitty’s Cup Cake Dream and Hello Kitty’s Ribbon Collection.
- Sesame Street Fun Zone offers Elmo’s Bubble Bubble, Abby’s Magical Party, Big Bird’s Big Nest, Moppy’s Lucky Dance Party, Grover’s Construction Company and lot’s more.
- The Lagoon offers Peter Pan’s Neverland, which gives you a chance to see and experience Neverland in reality.
- The Water World offers, Live Sea War spectacular.
- Amity Village offers- Jaws, which is a theme park attraction based on the popular film by the same name. The attraction places guests aboard tour boats for what should be leisurely tour of the Amity Harbour, but becomes a harrowing chase between the craft and a very determined Great White Shark.
One need not get worried about places to stay , since there are five official hotels in and around the park namely-
- Hotel Universal Port
- Hotel Seagull Tempozan Osaka
- Hotel Keishan Universal City
- Hotel Keishan Universal Tower
- Hotel Kintetsu Universal City
If you are totally in love with Hollywood and are willing to live the moments of your favourite Hollywood ventures, do make a trip to the Universal Studios, Japan.