Mount Sanqing is located at the northeast of Shangrao city in Jiangxi Province, China. Sanqing in Chinese means “Three Pure Ones”, as mount Sanqing is formed by the Taoist Trinity. Sanqing is 1817mts above the sea level and has been famed as Taoist sacred mountain. In 2008, Mount Sanqing was inscribed as UNESCO World Heritage site. The total area of Sanqing is 756.60 square kilometers and in 2005, it was classified as the National Park of China. Mount Sanqing is a shelter for many animals, containing about 800 different species of Fauna and 1000 species of Flora with fantastically contoured granite pillars and intricate rock pattern combining with regularly changing weather creates exquisite scenery.
Location and Transportation:
Mount Sanqingshan is 78km west of Shangrao city, 115km south of Wuyishan City, 144km east of Quzhou city and 263km north of Huangshan city. To get to Sanqingshan, take a train to Shangrao station in Jiangxi Province. Many cities including Shangai, Changsha and Kunming operate direct train service to Shangrao station. From there the tourist can travel by bus to the mountain. Pericab is the most common way to get around the city and cable cars are available to the scenic area.
Mount Sanqingshan is made up of three main crests Yujing, Yuxu and Yuhua peaks which appears as the “Three Taoist Gods” Yuqing, Shangqing and Taiqing of Taoism resting in a row and hence describes why it’s named as “Sanqing”. The Yujing peak is the highest peak with an altitude of 1819.9 meters and it has a reputation of “Best Spirit Mountain in the World”. During the Eastern Jin dynasty (AD 317-420) mount Sanqingshan was regarded as the sacred place of Taoist because of Ge Hong, a famous Taoist who built a Taoist temple at foot of Sanqing. He also cultivated vital energy in his body and made pills of immortality about 1,600 years ago. During Song dynasty, Wang Lin invested to build Taoist temple, making Sanqing Mountain a major destination for Taoist. The footprints of famous people like Xu Xiake, a traveller of Ming dynasty and Anshi, politician and reformer of Song dynasty are left in the mountain. In biological terms, it harbours rare plants that evolved through 200 million years, creating a natural paradise for a great diversity of plants and animals.
Places to Visit:
1. Nanqing Garden: The Nanqing garden is situated in the centre of the Sanqingshan. It is about 1577 meters above the sea level with most spectacular natural scenery. There are wonderful sceneries such as vigorous mountains, picturesque peaks and rocks and it also includes several symbolic landscapes of Sanqingshan. The circular travelling route passes through the Liuxua Terrace, the Yuhuang Peak, “Great Python” coming out of the mountain, “Goddess Sinchun” and “Line sky” to Youxiangu valley.
2. West Coast Scenic Spot: It is located in the west of mount Sanqingshan with an average altitude of 1600 meters. It is a scenic spot of the most open terrain and the West Coast is a coastline as Mount Sanqingshan used to be submerged by the sea for three times. In the West Coast along the precipices, the cloud sea, the afterglow, the mountain peaks as well as the valleys can be seen. The travelling route is the highest and longest high-mountain plank road and the route is about four kilometres long.
3. Yujing Peak: Yujingfeng is the highest and the mid-most peak in Mount Sanqingshan measuring 1816.9 meters in altitude. Yujing Peak is a magnificent scenic spot with a sight of Cloud Sea, fog wave and an ideal place to view sunrise and sunset. Yujing has the distinct cold and warm seasons, like cold winters and warm summers. The landscape is mostly covered with closed needle leaved evergreen forest. The Yujing peak is also called as “The endless boundary of the sky, the highest peak” and only standing on top of Yujing peak, the mountains and valleys under can be viewed, which will completely show the magnificent display of Mount Sanqingshan.
3. Sunshine Coast: Sunshine Coast scenic spot also called as “East Coast” is located in the east of Mount Sanqingshan with an average altitude of 1600 meters. A newly developed suspended plank road along the cliff with an overall length of 3600 meters is built to the Sunshine Coast. Spectacular scenery of High Mountain and stone forest can be viewed from the Sunshine valley. Apart from walking on top of Sunshine Coast, with its broad horizons, several great wonders such as thrills of the rope bridge, transparent glass viewing platform and deep canyons can be experienced.
4. Sanqinggong Scenic Spot: The Sanqinggong is located in the north side of Mount Sanqingshan with a collection of the cultural scenery and an “Open-Air Museum” of ancient Taoist buildings. Sanqinggong enjoys a history of over 1600 years possessing ancient buildings like Taoist temple, pool, tomb, mansions etc which are built according to the elaborate layout of “Prenatal Eight Diagrams”, layout of ancient Taoist buildings in China.
5. Xihuatai: The Xihuatai Scenic spot is located in the northern foot of Mount Sanqingshan. Since Song and Ming dynasty the Xihuatai has an ancient stone pair path to the top of the mountain. The Xihuatai is reputed as “Green Kingdom” and “Cool World” and “Flower Garden”.